Everyone wants to have a beautiful smile – it is one way to have confidence in oneself. So why aren’t more people doing more to straighten out their teeth? Many will tell you that they want to straighten out their smiles but the thought of braces puts them off – wire braces are not only unsightly, they come with a number of issues that are hard to ignore. That is where Invisalign comes in; it is a teeth straightening system that eliminates most of the problems that come with wire braces. Invisalign is a teeth straightening method that uses invisible braces so that you can straighten your teeth without the world knowing about it. A clear, plastic mold is created to fit your teeth and once it is on it has to be adjusted every two weeks. Over time teeth come into line and after around 18 months most people will have corrected their smiles completely.
Advantages of Invisalign
The biggest advantage of Invisalign is that it helps people straighten out their teeth without feeling self conscious about it. Many people, especially teenagers and adults are reluctant to wear braces because of how they appear in social situations – every time they open their mouths to talk or smile they feel that everyone is looking at their teeth. With Invisalign you will not have to worry about this because the braces are clear – all people see are your teeth. There are several other advantages of getting an Invisalign system installed on your teeth:
• Invisalign braces are more comfortable to wear than wire braces. You may feel a little discomfort in the initial days but once you get used to the mold you will not feel your braces at all.
• Invisalign braces are removable. In fact, it is recommended that you remove your Invisalign braces before you eat so as to avoid food particles getting trapped between the braces and your teeth leading to tooth decay. You should also take your braces off for cleaning.
• You will not have to wait for so long to start seeing results with Invisalign. One concern that people have with wire braces is that it can take years for your teeth to come into alignment. Invisalign takes a much shorter time – most people will start to see results in about two or three months depending on how crooked the teeth were in the first place. In about a year there will be marked improvement and most people will have their teeth perfectly aligned in under two years.
• You don’t have to kiss your love life goodbye if you choose Invisalign instead of wore braces – you will still be able to kiss and because you aren’t self conscious you can socialize and meet people.
• Invisalign changes your diet, and many people who have had it installed have reported losing a few pounds for 2 reasons. The first is that your dentist will recommend that you avoid any beverages other than water, which cuts your sugar intake and helps you lose weight. The second is that since you have to take out your aligners to eat you will most likely eat a smaller portion so that you can put your braces back on.
• It is easy to clean your Invisalign braces – all you need is regular toothpaste but if it isn’t handy plain water and a toothbrush will do just fine.
Does Invisalign come with any disadvantages?
As a matter of fact there are two things you may not like about Invisalign. The first is that it doesn’t work if your teeth are very crooked. Your dentist will make an assessment to determine whether you need Invisalign will work for you – you may otherwise have to go with wire braces. The other problem with Invisalign is that you have to wear a retainer afterwards – you will need one day and night for the first six months after your braces are taken out and then every night after that.
How to prepare for an Invisalign treatment
It is very easy to prepare to have Invisalign installed. The important thing is to choose a renowned dentist – choose one who is certified to provide this treatment. You will go in for a consultation during which your dentist will talk to you about the treatment and what you can expect. He will make a mold of your teeth which he will send off to a lab so that they can create your trays. Once they are ready you will be called back in so they can be fitted. You will then be required to come back every two weeks or so to have new braces fitted. Each time you get new trays your teeth will get straighter and straighter until you have a perfect smile. Invisalign is not painful.
One thing you should know about Invisalign is that it is more expensive than wire braces. If you find the cost prohibitive find out whether your insurance can cover it. Alternatively, you can find a dentist who offers financing – they will allow you to pay an initial amount and then you can pay off the balance every month.